By Lauren Rowland
Which subscription box is better: Play! by Sephora vs. Ipsy?
Warning: subscription boxes are highly addictive, so proceed with caution.
Play! by Sephora (January 2017)
Box cost: $10 per month
What is in the box: Each box typically includes five deluxe samples plus one fragrance sample.
- Caudalie Resveratrol Face Lifting Moisturizer with SPF 20 – 0.5 fl oz ($25.38)
- OUAI Treatment Masque – 0.5 fl oz ($6.67)
- Tarte Frxxxtion Stick Exfoliating Cleanser – 0.22 oz ($4.84)
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey – 0.04 oz ($9.71)
- Boscia B.B. Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 27 PA ++ ($7.60)
- Pinrose Wild Child Eau de Parfume Towelette ($0)
Total value of box contents: $54.20
I have been receiving the Play! box for almost a year now, and each month I am just as pleased with the products inside. I love having the opportunity to try a variety of products from make-up and skin care to hair products. I love that each box comes with a pamphlet that tells you what each product is and how to use it. The box also comes with a voucher for extra points when you spend a certain amount at Sephora. The products they provide are similar to the ones they have as rewards for points, so I am saving extra points. Plus, for each box you purchase, you get 10 points added to your account. I am a point hoarder, so this especially excites me.
Ipsy (January 2017)
Box cost: $10 per month
What is in the box: Each boxes comes with full- size samples and includes a makeup bag.
- Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream with SPF 35 0.25 fl oz – $9.75
- Pretty Woman Nail Polish in the shade 0.3 fl oz – FULL SIZE $7.99
- Coloured Raine in the shade Mars – FULL SIZE $17
- Loverecipe Aloe Mask – FULL SIZE $1.50
- Loverecipe AcaiBerry Mask – FULL SIZE $1.50
- Model Co. Blush in the shade Peach Bellini – FULL SIZE $22
Total value of box contents: $59.74
I love this box because of the full-sized items and learning about brands I have never heard of. They mostly focus on makeup and skin care. I love that each month there is a new makeup bag, which is very high quality.
So, who wins? Well, for me, Play! by Sephora wins because I am able to try high-end products for cheap. Yes, none of the products are full size, but for me it’s just about trying nice products and seeing which one I would want to buy. With Ipsy, you pretty much get everything without needing to think of buying something unless you use up the full-size product. I have found I am more likely to repurchase the products in Play! over Ipsy.
Overall, I recommend you try both boxes to see which one you prefer. Subscription boxes are a great way to build up your makeup collection and also really exciting to receive a surprise each month.